Saturday, January 27, 2007

Circular No 273


Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 27 January 2007. No. 273
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
An old one that I did not want to left behind, sorry fellow for the tardiness.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, December 18, 2006 6:25:55 PM
Trying to figure out this class picture Form II 65-66.
This class was one year below me and I recognize most faces but names are difficult.
I composed some pictures to give my remarks.
About Paul Quesnel I can be sure he is not, because Paul was in my class in Form III that year and I have a picture from him.
Anybody remember the Gurley brothers, I think there were three of them at the school at the same time.
Groeten van Jan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, December 18, 2006 7:20:09 PM
Anybody remember Lindsay Moffat?
He was in my class Form II 1964-1965.
He was very skilled in art and playing the piano.
When we played piano nobody from the school wanted to come and listen to us, except when Lindsay played this Calypso song "67".
He had an elder brother John Moffat also at the Abbey School.
So I heard John is also an airplane pilot like Attila.
Lindsay went on in art, one time he designed these very beautiful dresses people would wear on carnival and festivals like that, but then in Glasgow.
I just received an X-mas card from him, he's been teaching Art + Design at college in Glasgow.
In case anybody wants to know:
His email address on the X-mas card is
His home address is:
Lindsay John Moffat
Flat 3/2
1263 Argyle Street
Glasgow G3 8th
Scotland UK
I will reply his X-mas card and tell him about the Alumni circulars and the websites he can look for.
Groeten van Jan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:09:29 AM
Gmail Jan wrote:
Hello Andres,
I am scratching my memories and I did get lessons from a Chinese teacher, indeed his name could be Mr. Chow Fat, which was in the class underneath the Prep-dormitories behind the chemistry laboratory.
I got chemistry from Mrs. Kitty Marcus and she made us do experiments in that laboratory.
What I remember of Mr. Chow Fat is that he was a science man in mathematics, differentials, numeric analyses, imaginary calculus, boolean mathematics.
During lessons he would refer to that, as we would have it maybe one day.
So I think he was our mathematics teacher.
I didn't get a full year lessons from him, for some reason we had to go to a different class and we got another teacher.
It looks like you were a murderous class of students, killing frogs in class, yikes, if I get chills from an animal it is a frog.
Groeten van Jan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 5:18 PM
Hello Stanley and Jan:
A few questions on Mr. Chow Fat:
Was he our Biology or Chemistry teacher ?
If I remember correctly he was an excellent ping pong player but also a chain smoker.
If someone would curse in class, or speak when not spoken to, he would say something like:
Go wash out your mouth with soap and water.
Was it in his Biology class that we used to make headless toads jump with electric jolts and was it there that we drowned stray cats in order to make arrow quivers out of their furry skins ?
I remember there was a time when we all had this craze with bows and arrows.
Regards
Andres Larsen
Caracas, Venezuela
--------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:44:23 PM
Comment below from Jan Koenraadt regarding Tim Healy from Surinam
AndrEs,
Thank you very much for sending the latest circular. I got contact with Ladislao and he mailed me and put me on the mailing list for the circulars.
I received circular 251 also directly from him.
This boy Tim Healy doesn't ring a bell, don't know if he is Dutch.
Maybe he speaks Dutch because of staying in Surinam.
Since 1970 I went to the Netherlands and went back to Surinam a few times for holidays but not to stay.
Never knew there were more old boys from Surinam.
Will try to look it up.
Groeten van Jan Koenraadt
jankoenraadt@gmail.com
My home address is:
Jan Koenraadt
Remy van Haanenstraat 4
4907 NR Oosterhout
The Netherlands
0031-162-456325
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Andres Larsen
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:28 PM
Hello Jan:
One of our Mount Old Boys made contact with another one of us from Surinam by the name of Tim Healy if that is of any interest for you.
There is something about that in Ladislao Kertesz's e-mailed Abbey School Circular Nr.251 below:
Groeten van
Andres Larsen
---------------------------------------------------------------
Attila GYURIS gyuris@yahoo.com
Tuesday, December 5, 2006 2:00:43 AM
Hi Andres:
Jan and I have been conversing about Josh.
He lost track of him also since the Mount days...
By the way, I think the correct spelling is Schoemacher. (Dutch spelling).
We will keep looking. He might pop in one day just like the others.
Attila.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Andres Larsen wrote:
Hello Jan:
Ladislao Kertesz is very much alive and kicking.
His computer had broken down but I understand he has it back in service now.
His e-mail addresses are kertesz11@yahoo.com and kertesz12@yahoo.com as well as kaviacion@cantv.net
Speaking of something or someone else:
Attila Gyuris is interested in tracing the current whereabouts of your countryman and our fellow Abbey School Old Boy Josh Schoemaker who apparently moved years ago to Hawaii.
If you have any news on him they would certainly be appreciated.
Greetings
Andres Larsen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gmail Jan wrote:
Hello Don,
Yes I have some more old pictures of the Mount.
I was meaning to contact Ladislao to join the club and then get instructions from him to send him my old pictures to publish in the circulars.
But I did not get any reply yet.
I just hope he did not pick this period to retire.
I have already been mailing with Attila Guyris, he was my close friend at that time, and he explained to me how it works.
Your name starts with Don, are you a monk of the monastery?
Could you fill me in, I just arrived.
My steady email address is jankoenraadt@casema.nl or jankoenraadt@gmail.com.
I have two others for common use but they are just aliasses, so don't mind them.
I send you recent pictures of me and my family, to show who is on the other side, I have four sons, big boys now.
Greetings from Jan Koenraadt from the Netherlands.
------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Don Mitchell CBE QC
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 8:47 PM
Subject: Photograph of Your friend Stanley Achong
Hello Jan,
I hope Ladislao will publish the photo.
Do you have any more of these historic ones?
If so, please send them to him so that he can use them in the Circulars.
I understand that Ladislao is having computer problems.
He is normally very prompt, year after year, in his weekly Circulars.
However, we have not heard from him for some months now.
I only use the website to upload Ladislao's circulars, and have abandoned them since the Circulars stopped.
I should really visit them and make sure they are all still functioning.
Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE_ABBEY_SCHOOL Form II 1965-66
Friday, December 1, 2006 12:06:31 PM
Hi Stanley:
Attila did send me a copy. I recognize Specs next to the teacher.
Between Specs and the kid way at left somewhere at the middle left of the bottom row is Rommel Rosero.
I don't know if the guy up at the right is Rampersad.
I also am not sure whether either of the two blond guys is Josh Schoemaker or David Quesnel.
Regards
Andres
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------..
Achong wrote:
Hi Andres:
I received this picture from Attila yesterday and was not sure whether you had a copy. I recognize almost all the faces with some names but not all.
If possible, could you get someone to give all the names, You are second from left rear row and Attila thinks that I and in the centre "too shy to lift my chin up"(smile).
I suggested to Atilla that he should charter one of those Boeing 737 jets and fly us down to Trinidad and along the way pickup you and the rest of the Old Boys.
Regards,
Stan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
December 2, 2006 10:26:02 PM
Achong wrote:
Hi Andres:
I think I will be able to put names to most of the faces if I had a list of the names in the class.
Do you have any contacts who could furnish such a list....
Regards,
Stan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Andres Larsen
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:13 AM
Subject: THE_ABBEY_SCHOOL Form II 1965-66 .JPG
Hi me again Stanley:
Sitting to the right of Rommel Rosero in the front row is Fulvio Cantore. In the back row about five from the right might be Adolfo Brito D'Aumaitre whom we used to call "Tucupita".
I know this is not of much help but it is better than nothing. Attila and I are probably better at the faces of the "Venezuelans" and you are probably better at the faces of the "Trinidadians".
I am also not sure if in Carlos Hofle is in the photo. He passed away from cancer quite some years back. I also don't see Gonzalo Montiel in the photo and if I remember correctly he was also in our class but then I don't fully rely on my hazy recollections.
Regards
Andres
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Achong wrote:
Hi Andres:
I received this picture from Attila yesterday and was not sure whether you had a copy. I recognize almost all the faces with some names but not all.
If possible, could you get someone to give all the names, You are second from left rear row and Attila thinks that I am in the centre "too shy to lift my chin up"(smile).
I suggested to Atilla that he should charter one of those Boeing 737 jets and fly us down to Trinidad and along the way pickup you and the rest of the Old Boys.
Regards,
Stan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:48:27 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"
Stan:
Thanks... Yes, all those names seem to be right on, now that you said the names..
Good memory! The Canadian cold hasn't affected you in the least.
Sorry you didn't get a number because I had no idea if anybody would be able to actually identify him since he was trying to hide his face.
Then Andres Larsen wrote back and said he thought it was you, probably by a process of elimination, I think.
So you think the date of the picture is correct?: Form II 1965-66?
Attila.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Achong wrote:
Hi Attila:
Thanks for forwarding my messages to Jan Koenraadt. I remember him very well and not to forget Michael D'Ornellas (Specs) .... amazing!
I guess you could not get a name list of the class mates from your contact at the Abbey; it would be a lot easier for me to put the names to the faces.
1965-66 Form II class
32 Arthur, possibly Cumberbatch, but may be wrong with the last name, although I should have because we played in the music band for a few years together. Andres may remember because the both spent some time at my home in Trinidad. He was also from Venezuela.
16 Jerry Chin Cham
04 Alves, think his first name may also be Jerry; also could be Gerry
17 Rampersad; not 100% but very likely. Don't recall his first name.
31 I should remember his name because he lived just as we descended the short-cut to the sports field.
11 Also don't recall the name but remembered well that his parents owned the Scarlet Ibis hotel on Tunapuna Road. Possibly Ramlogan...
14 He is actually Peter Quesnel
34 Possibly "Achim", but I may be wrong.
I will be forwarding this info to Andres as well to see if his brains are still functioning because the cold in Canada is slowing mine a bit (smile)
Oh by the way, how come the handsome gentleman in the rear centre row did not get a number??(smile)
Regards,
Stan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Attila GYURIS
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: THE_ABBEY_SCHOOL Form II 1965-66 .JPG
Here you go. The same photo with some names attached...I am sure some are wrong, like the one of Paul Quesnel. I am now sure it that is not him. The others are pretty sure of, even if I don't remember both their first or last names.
Like I think the one of Copeland.
I think his first name was Winston, but I am not sure.
Anyway, give it your best try, see what you can remember. That goes for you also, Andres. I need to fill in the blanks.
By the way, Carlos Hoefle is not in the photo because he was one class lower that you.
And Gonzalo Montiel hadn't arrived yet.
"Tucupita" isn't there yet either, he came later.
The one you are thinking is Tucupita is actually Robleda from Caripe (Roberto Mezzana's town)
Attila
----------------------------------------------------------
Achong wrote:
Hi Andres:
I think I will be able to put names to most of the faces if I had a list of the names in the class.
Do you have any contacts who could furnish such a list....
Regards,
Stan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos
66UN0001CLASS69??, Can you help out the Alumni of CLASS 1969??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: