Saturday, May 26, 2007

Circular No 290





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 26 May 2007. No. 290
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear friends,
Some old time news on Music and Bands at the Mount.
I do not remember of any bands, between 1955–1959, except the Scouts Band.
Although Fr. Francis tried to get a Choir going, this was all the singing available.
So join the interchange:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glen Mckoy
ViewWednesday, March 7, 2007 8:34:51 AM
Hi David,
You had the first band on the mount?
That’s good history to know, as there were a few other bands after that, from what I heard about.
There were some really good musicians over the years.
You have written for some of the best bands in the Caribbean.
What a life of music if you are living.
As a fellow musician, I always had a job and played on the weekends, but you lived the dream.
David where are you living now??
There is another mount boy who plays bass in Venezuela, he has a band there I read in one of the news letter.
He is before my time also.
When I left Trinidad I played calypso and soca.
Now I think we are losing some of the latin swing in our music, swaying calypso rhythms, Its being taken over by american hip- pop and dance hall, heavy bass and rhythms grooves, not much singing not much guitar not much, nothing.
I am a guitar player, so if I don't hear no guitar I am surprised, you know what I mean.
You wrote in a time when the music was really sweet.
I will love to hear your cd my address is:
Glen Mckoy
80 Adelaide ave

Halifax, Nova Scotia / Canada
B3N 2N8
If you ever in eastern Canada my phone 902-443-5437.
Thanks for the email
Glen...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "david decastro" thecalypsobandit@hotmail.com
To: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:45:19 +0000
HI GLEN,
Thanks for answering my email.
There were some other 2 McCoy going to mount in my time between 1945- 1953.
I had the first band in mount we were called Mt Mariners.
I am a song writer and calypso singer.
I have written for the merrymen, byron lee, spice and co. and others.
If you send me your address I would be happy to send you my latest cd and compositions
"The calypso bandit" .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
To: thecalypsobandit@hotmail.com,
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:37:04 +0000
Hi David,
My name is Glen McKoy my brother name is Hudson McKoy,
We went to mount around 1967-1972.
However people said there were two others before us, but they spelled their names McCoy I don't think they were brothers??
I am 51 yrs this year and Hudson will be 50, so you must know if we are in your age group,
I remember most mount boys who were about 2 yrs older or 2 yrs younger than me,
Hudson and I played in the mount band Cosmic Vibes,
Our band was after Raymond McCartney band, with Francis on drums and also Milton on drums, bullet head on bass, I think they had another guitar player, these guys were great players for their ages,
We still play music,
Hudson and his son is working on a cd in Toronto,
I played with bands on the weekends for many years, now I just jam with friends,
I play nylon, steel electric guitars and all styles of music, playing music is medicine, and it keeps me young,
David I don't know if I answered your question or not, but it’s good to hear from any old mount boys,
What a time, take care, good to hear from you
Glen McKoy - guitar player
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "david decastro" thecalypsobandit@hotmail.com
To: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:52:49 +0000
Hi
Got your email from Ladislao,
I remember a McCoy at mount but I do not remember the first name.
Were they 2 McCoy brothers?
My name is Dave de Castro {they called me dougles} my brother was Delano de Castro.
Any answers?
Hi there,
Tim list the name McCoy is wrong, its McKoy Glen and Hudson, just to get it right.
Because before us there were also other old boys who spelled their names McCoy,
Thank you Glen a very good friend of Tim Healy,
A bunch of us also went to Suriname with Tim had a great time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Re: Gary Lambkin
Gillian & Leary Oconnor
Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:24:09 PM
I forgot to mention that Gary's father, Ronny, also went to Mount but from those who are in contact with him, he does not seem to have a computer so that's not much help either.
He lives in Canada now but the best I can do is get a postal address for him.
That may not be helpful.
Just let me know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
David de Castro
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:55:21 PM
Hi Ladislao,
Delano does not have a computer, so I am not in touch with him often.
I do not really know the status of things.
He does not write to me so I am kind of in the dark.
If you find out anything let me know his address is:
41 b St. Anns Rd. St. Anns, Trinidad W.I.
Ph 868-624-3655.
Thanks
"the bandit" Dave.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Anthony Boos
Nigel Boos
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 3:31:10 PM
Laz,
My brother, Anthony, attended the Abbey School for a few years between 1955-1959, but I'm not sure precisely when.
He still lives in Trinidad and can be contacted via his son, Jason, at: noreply@en.facebox.com,
Regards,
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 19-May-07, at 5:26 PM, ladislao kertesz wrote:
Dear Nigel
I am recovering my mailing list.
Do you have Anthony Boos somewhere in your computer??
Is he your cousin??
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the code of the photos when replying.

This is for now, keep well.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
58DD0001RGA Volleyball player, Richard Galt
55RB00011a1MSH, Mac Seheult.
56UN0001CLASS61 rev.a, New names added.
58RB0003a5NBO, Nigel Boos.

No comments: