Saturday, June 30, 2007

Circular No 295





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 30 June 2007. No. 295
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear friends,
Some email from the old old alumni, 1942 to 1950.
Those that were between 1951 to 1959 are old alumni.
And those graduating in 1960s, like myself, contemporary alumni.
Those in 1970s to 1985 are the young alumni.
Any comments??
So here we go:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tevelyn
Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:49:34 PM
Ladislao
You do not know me because I was at the Mount before your time from April 1945 to December 1949 in the days of:
(Those in red are wanted live and in good health, any news would be appreciated. Ed.)
Jack Knaggs
John Darwent
J.D. Miller
Hamil Marcelin
Nobby Blanc
Tony Gomes

Clive Bettencourt Gomes
John Willems
Anthony Willems
Bunny Gonsalves
Terrance Gonsalves
John Mendes
Raymond Decambra
And so many more.
I will have to sit down and make a list before I attempt to contact you.
I have not so long ago got a computer and am still trying to understand the beast.
Just thought I would give you a buzz today and let you know that I will draft something about my WONDERFUL 5 years at the MOUNT.
Regards
Trevor Evelyn
(Please add names to the list, maybe they can be contacted. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tevelyn
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:15:15 AM
Ladislao,
Got your reply to my Email and am working on some info that you may find interesting.
The picture of Observation tower was of great interest to me as I have a picture of our tower year 1948 in I think the same place.
I will send the photograph to you by mail as I am not able at this time to put same on the computer.
Also have some other pictures I am sending for your personal files.
Regards
Trevor Evelyn
1949
(Expecting your photo for publication soon. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Request of an Award for Arthur Knaggs.
Arthur,
It was so good to contact you at last and to hear your voice.
As I was saying, Ladislao Kertesz in Venezuela (MSB Class of 1960), ably assisted by Anthony Johnson (Class of 1960), Don Mitchell (Class of about 1963), Roger Henderson (Class of 1960), Wayne Vincent Brown (Class of 1960) and I'm-sure-some-others, has pioneered the Abbey School website and has had lots of input from Old Boys around the globe.
I have recommended that one Arthur Knaggs should be given some sort of Award of Honour or Memorable Mention or whatever for your excellent work over the years to keep us all connected, through the "OASIS" magazine.
Perhaps now, Ladislao, you can talk directly to Arthur and get all the info you want to flesh out this story.
(I'm sure that Arthur, like no other, would be only too pleased to fill in a lot of the "missing links" of the early days at Mount.)
Las, I’ve spoken to Arthur today after searching for him for MANY months, and he advises that he gets to see his e-mail messages only once / twice a week when he visits his kids' homes, so don't worry too much if you don't hear from him right away.
Arthur, once more, it was great speaking with you.
Please give me a call if you're ever visiting Toronto.
Best regards to you and Valerie.
With love,
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Elizabeth Ince"
Subject: Maurice Correia - Abbey School
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:41:47 -0400
Dear Ladislao:
Got hold of Maurice Correia who was one of the early students at MSB.
I tried but unfortunately, he says he is not interested.
What a pity, Las, I dislike having to convey negative news of this kind.
Sincerely
CECIL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Elizabeth Ince
Sent: 12/28/2005 2:42:01 PM
Dear Las:
The only contact I have for Clive Bettencourt-Gomes is from his sister who lives next door to us.
It is:
18.02 BELLALUZ
LA MANGA CLUB
30385 LOS BELONES CARTAGENA

MURCIA
SPAIN
Sorry, I have nothing on Paul Slinger.
Hope you and family had a wonderful Christmas –
PAX IN VIRTUTE.
CECIL
P.S. A very good friend has just sent me his Mount St. B. jacket crest which has extra significance for me as day students like me did not have this.
I am attaching to one of my blazers.
(Does anyone know Paul Slinger?? Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Allan Blanc
Subject:
Lost Student
Date:
4/28/2005 10:12:43 AM
Hi Ladislao,
Got a call from Johnny Blanc with your email information which I had him foreword to me so that I could send some information to you.
My name is Allan ( Sonny ) Blanc one and the same person.
At the Abbey School I was known as Allan but some of my friends who knew me from where I grew up called me by my nickname Sonny.
I went to the College in 1947 and left in 1953.
I am 72 years old and guess I was one of the original students of the Mount.
We lived in the Monastery and there was no college building at that time.
I think there were aprox 35 Students at the time.
No playing field or swimming pool.
That was all built when we were students, including the college building and a few other buildings.
The original Headmaster in my time was Fr Bernard.
I have many fond memories of the Abbey and meet many old students from time to time.
Will write you a longer note soon and fill you in with more details.
Will have to confirm the dates above but I am pretty sure they are pretty close.
Will write soon
Allan Blanc
TEL 1 868 633 3127
(Please, send in a few lines for 2007. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC
Monday, May 28, 2007 7:07:32 PM
Hello Ladislao,
There are some Circulars that are either completely missing on the Blog or are incomplete.
I should be grateful if you would remind readers on one of the future Circulars of the missing numbers.
They are:
2001 - No 4
2002 - Nos 17, 36-43, 55 and 57

2003 - Nos 80 and 81
2005 - No 210
It would be great if one of the readers of this message has a copy or copies and can email them to me so that I can complete the missing slots.
The 2001 Circulars can be read at http://abbeyschool2001circulars.blogspot.com/.
All the later years are in "Links" in the right hand column on the home page.
Every year's Circulars can be accessed from any other year.
Thanks,
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:
Stan Soodeen
Date:
2/1/2005 10:13:27 AM
Hi Laci,
I did receive your inquiry about Trevor and spoke to his sister for an address.
She did not have the info but will try to get it from one of the nieces.
I do not think Trevor has an e-mail address.
The good news is that I have Tyrone’s e-mail address: tzsoodeen@shaw.ca.
He is a medical doctor and lives in the Vancouver area.
If you are able to contact him he should be able to help you out with Trevor.
Best regards ---- Stan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:
Stan Soodeen |
Date:
1/11/2005 12:54:09 PM
Hi there,
Don’t know how you got my address, but it was interesting reading the newsletters.
I am not the Soodeen who attended MSB – my cousins Trevor (Toronto) and Scipio (Barbados) did.
In your letter to RD below you asked about Anthony Lucky –
I see him once in a while at the Pointe-a-Pierre Club.
He is now one of Trinidad’s Appeal Court judges.
Keep up the good work with your circulars, and you can remove my name from your list.
SS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use the code on the photos when replying.

This is for now, keep well.
God Bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
05AK0001AKNGRP. Barbados

58RB00011a10, Robeto Bodington, the photographer.
58RB0001a11, Bro Vincent.
58RB0001a13UNKNOWN, This guy is recurrent in Roberto´s photos ???????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: