Saturday, February 24, 2007

Circular No 277





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 24 February 2007. No. 277
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Enjoy Lindsay Moffat´s commentaries.
Can anyone give me a summary on Chow Fat and another on Yip Chuck.
I might have the names misspelled, anyone of the clergy at MSB help??
It is unthinkable that there are no inputs to these questions on past teachers.
I cannot believe that there is no date for the last year taught and known death date.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:14:38 -0800 (PST)
Hello Lindsay:
Good to hear from you after all these years!
Yes, I agree with you, the Chinese teachers were the best and the strictest.
I also always wondered what became of Mr. Chow Fat.
I think he inspired me to get into engineering school.
Sooo...what kind of fine arts are you into?
Are you still playing the piano?
After leaving the Mount I never continued the lessons, since we didn't have a piano at home.
Sometimes I wish I had.
I can still play "chop-sticks" on the keyboards though,... and a pretty mean air-guitar!
Do you still remember the name of our piano teacher?
I forget.
I think he was polish if I remember correctly.
Do you remember when he took us to a classical music concert once in Port-of-Spain.
I remember the concert was so good I fell fast asleep.
Attila Gyuris
MSB 1964-1969
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Lindsay John Moffat wrote:
Wow, great to make contact...
Yes I remember Mr. Chow Fat very well.
Your description is accurate.
I also remember him as a good teacher who could control the class with a focused look silence and more than a few throbbing of the muscles of his cheekbones!
Algebra was not by best subject but Biology was and it was taught by Mr. Yip Chock who was my favourite teacher of all.
In fact the Chinese teachers there were the best.
Will never forget them and by strange coincidence was recently thinking of them with affection and wondering what happened to then and indeed if they were still alive.
I can't remember the frogs’ legs jumping and I never learned to spell!
Wondering who I am?
Though under the artistic name of Lindsay John now my full name:
Lindsay John Moffat.................. Now living in Glasgow, Scotland, UK and am a Fine Artist and Lecturer
Wonder how this got through to me?? Always glad to hear from 'Mountainsiders' after all this time.
Keep in touch and regards to all.
Lindsay
(Is Nigel Moffat still mad at the Mount?? Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Attila GYURIS
Subject: Re: Mr. Chow Fat
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:47:29 -0800 (PST)
If I remember correctly, the skinny, chain-smoking, ping-pong playing Mr. Chow Fat was my Physics, Ordinary Math and Advanced Math class teacher in both Form IV and Form V.
I thought he was the best teacher of the bunch.
He was allergic to chalk dust and he constantly had to go to the infirmary to see the nurse for treatment.
One time he even had to use latex gloves to teach the class.
Somewhere in the MSB box I still have a copy of a letter of recommendation from him for my university applications.
Miss Kitty Marcus was our Chemistry teacher, in both form IV and form V.
Attila
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remembering Mr. Chow Fat

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:18:51 PM
Lindsay John Moffat
wrote:
Andres Larsen asked..
Do you remember Mr. Chow Fat?
Yes I do. Mr. Chow Fat was the mathematics teacher for some time (Algebra & Geometry) I think Physics also.
Like Mr. Yip Chock I had admiration for him too though I did not do so good at mathematics or physics - my fault not his I simply could not maintain the concentration and lost interest.
I think the Chinese teachers were the best and very focused.
I remember him as being very skinny with spiky hair and looked very young too though I could not say his age then. He had a way of instilling discipline without shouting or hitting or making a fuss - if one misbehaved he would turn to look directly at you silently, eyes like daggers and the muscles of his jawbone pumping rapidly - a look that made one feel like he was saying 'You stupid little boy' and made one's ego shrink to about the size of an ant.
A good way to shut you up without doing very much.
There was another trick up his sleeve though - If you played the fool when his back was turned (when he was at the black board for example) he could spin round rapidly and send his chalk flying, hitting you in the head with it with pin-point accuracy every time. No one could ever figure out how he did that!
Needless to say he was good at sport - Ping Pong to be precise - so fast, focused and agile he was.
One of the reasons why I think he got on well with the boys during recreation.
Though I have often wondered I know nothing of his history.
How did he come to be a teacher? - how did he come to be at Mt. St. Benedict?
Where did he come from before that?
What was his ancestry?
Perhaps these questions will always remain a mystery.
Does anybody know where he is now??
Lindsay John
(Have you a photo of Nigel. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Attila GYURIS

Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:23:12 PM
Hi Jan:
Glad you liked it and that Ladislao is now sending you the MSB circulars.
Did he send you the old ones too?
I am, currently in Pennsylvania attending the US Army Test Pilot School.
It is fascinating but very intense, like drinking from a fire hose.
We are studying one entire system (e.g. flight control system, hydraulics system, electrical system, engine system, anti-ice system, etc. etc.) at a time and then perform all the prescribed flight tests on that system.
The final flight exam is going to be a summary of all the systems at once, with simulated multiple failures.
Everybody here in class is sweating bullets and unfortunately a few pilots have washed out already.
Hopefully I should graduate in one more month or so, (depending on the bad weather here if we can complete all the flight-test periods - in addition to the academics - on time)...then return home.

Greetings (temporarily) from Pennsylvania
Attila
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Jan Koenraadt wrote:
Attila,
I got your Chinese Food Market via Andres.
It looks good man.
Hard to imagine people eat it.
In Surinam being a little boy these Javanese people gave me all sorts of strange kinds of food to eat.
So, once accustomed, you eat it the rest of your life, like snake and so.
But these scorpions, no, never, and the other things look like large cockroaches, yikes.
I am getting regular circulars now from Ladislao, he is catching up.
Father Christopher is in Holland for medical aid.
He had an operation on his heart last year, four bypasses and he is here now for checking up.
He saw me in a circular and phoned me and I visited him, about 60 km away.
Very good to talk to old Mount people after so long time.
Thanks for the pps file.
Greetings from the Netherlands.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is for now, keep well
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
57NB0100UNKNOWN, Sent in by Nigel Boos
57NB0099UNKNOWN, Sent in by Nigel Boos
57NB0089UNKNOWN, Sent in by Nigel Boos
57NB0012CDRUNKNOWN, Sent in by Nigel Boos

No comments: